At Barrow Island Primary School we want children to 'be the best they can be'.
- We endeavour to create an environment where children achieve.
- We believe in high aspirations, mutual respect, independence and hard work.
- Our children will be active learners who are curious, self-motivated individuals - equipped for their future.
- We abide by the Golden Rules.
- We are gentle
- We are kind and helpful
- We listen
- We are honest
- We work hard
- We look after property
Our curriculum will empower our children to achieve through a skills-based approach.
General aims (taken from the National Curriculum 2014)
Our curriculum is balanced and broadly based, it:-
- promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at school and of society.
- prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
- follows the statutory national curriculum which sets out in programmes of study, on the basis of key stages, subject content for those subjects that should be taught to all pupils.
- teaches religious education to pupils at every key stage.
- we make provision for personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE) and a daily act of collective worship.
- To develop creative, independent, confident and enthusiastic readers and writers.
- To develop a love of maths, with the confidence to apply knowledge in a range of contexts.
- To collaborate effectively with parents and the wider community.
- To foster positive attitudes to individualised lifelong learning.
- To be a cohesive, creative school.
- To experience and appreciate a range of culturally diverse communities, locally and globally.
You can also follow us on twitter @BarrowIslandSch
If you wish to apply to our school please follow the link;
Cumbria Schools Admission
School Prospectus 2018/2019